Hit iOS app comes to Android to deliver the WhoSampled music discovery experience through samples, cover songs and remixes;
App showcases how 90s music is influencing the songs of 2014
London, UK, September 30, 2014 – WhoSampled, the popular music discovery website and iOS app powered by the world’s largest database of sample-based music, cover songs and remixes, today announced that the app is now available on Android as a free download. With over 270,000 tracks from over 95,000 artists, WhoSampled offers a unique experience that directly links up artists to the music that influenced them and charts their influence on contemporary music.
WhoSampled can be downloaded on Google Play at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whosampled
The launch of the Android app will help showcase how the music of the 90’s is influencing today’s charts, with the biggest hits of recent times having incorporated samples of classic tracks from the decade that bought us stone washed denim, Baywatch and Dumb & Dumber. The 90s resurgence is led by Nicki Minaj’s recreation of Sir Mix-a-Lot’s 1992 then controversial classic “Baby Got back” on her new smash hit “Anaconda” and Iggy Azalea’s re-interpreting mid-nineties movie “Clueless” in her video for global number one hit “Fancy”.
Music’s evolution continues to be cyclical, with music producers continuing to raid their parents’ record and CD collections for inspiration. The biggest new artists of today, including Ariana Grande, Drake, Kid Ink, Jeremih and Duke Dumont, have drawn inspiration from 90s greats such as Whitney Houston and Wu-Tang Clan, as well as dancefloor anthems by Snap! and Robin S.
Users of WhoSampled can discover the “DNA” of the music they listen to and love. The app provides detailed information on songs, including what other songs have sampled them, what artists have covered music from other artists, and what remixes were then made for a track. WhoSampled allows users to explore the musical connections in their own music collection.
Key features of WhoSampled include:
– The ability to go on a journey of musical discovery built around a user’s own music collection. Scan a music library and discover amazing connections for the tracks in it
– Easy access to the world’s largest and richest database of music DNA, with over 270,000 tracks, 95,000 artists and continuous daily additions. Search for any artist or track even if it is not in your music library
– Beautiful, clean interface. Simple and intuitive navigation makes music exploration easy
– Compare tracks side-by-side and listen to full‐length tracks, streamed through YouTube (where available)
– Highly detailed information on any sample (sample timing, sample type, part sampled) lets users pinpoint where the sample was used and compare it with the original
– A “share” feature allowing users to share their amazing finds with their Facebook friends and Twitter followers
– Deep and unique music charts that show trending and top-rated content as well as the all-time most influential artists and tracks
– Engage with the WhoSampled community from within the app; comment on and rate any entry in the WhoSampled database
– A host of other features and functionality including links to buy tracks, personal favorites list plus intelligent contextual recommendations from every sample, cover and remix
In addition to the popular iOS app, the WhoSampled website sees over 1 million unique monthly visitors and its social media footprint exceeds 135,000 across Facebook and Twitter. WhoSampled’s iOS app was featured in the Apple App Store’s “Best of 2012” list (the only music discovery app to have been selected that year), and was selected as one of the best apps in the world by the Telegraph, The Next Web, The SundayTimes, Stylist and more.
WhoSampled is a unique service for music fans who want to discover and understand music, its history and its influences – by allowing them to explore the DNA of their favorite songs and share their discoveries with friends.
Using the world’s largest, most detailed and most accurate database of sampled music, cover songs and remixes, WhoSampled knows – for any given track – which samples were used or where that track has since been sampled, covered or remixed.
Through these unique connections, music fans can explore the roots and influences in their favorite songs. Using video from services such as YouTube and VEVO, WhoSampled allows you to compare tracks by playing “samples vs sampled” or “originals vs covers” side-by-side.